Engineering Manager - Engineering Apprenticeship Program
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
We are looking for a capable and empathetic engineering leader who is excited at the prospect of mentoring cohorts of budding engineers through Twilio’s Hatch Software Engineering apprenticeship program. We are launching the program in our Denver office in late 2020. The person in this role will need to roll up their sleeves and dive into code as well as mentor apprentices on their journey as software developers.
Twilio is looking for a leader who embodies the Twilio Magic and demonstrates an equitable approach to building engineering teams and nurturing new talent. They also have:
- A drive to act as an advocate for their team, setting people up for success and putting others’ growth first.
- A strong growth mindset and know how to push others to achieve their potential.
- Familiarity with agile processes, continuous integration and test automation.
- A desire to be cross-functional and influence resources outside of your immediate control.
- A passion for coaching senior engineers to develop their mentorship capabilities..
- An ability to pragmatically distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team.
- A love for making an impact and thriving in collaborative, energetic teams.
As an Engineering Manager for the Hatch Software Engineering Apprenticeship program, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE INCLUSIVE: Lead a development program focused on an equitable approach to enabling apprentice software engineers to be successful contributors towards Twilio’s core products. Engage with recruiting to source talent through development bootcamps and community partners as part of Twilio’s Hatch program.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Provide 1:1 and team support and guidance that enables self-organization, sustained high velocity, and predictability.
- WEAR CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Partner with talent acquisition and key engineering stakeholders to maintain a strong pipeline of diverse hires through recruitment, hiring, training, placement, and ongoing support. Work with business leaders to set teams and apprentices up for success.
- BE AN OWNER: Contribute to and develop key strategic goals within Twilio’s Platform Engineering organization and Engineering Education & Training team.
- DRAW THE OWL: Act as an ambassador for Twilio’s values, partnering with local development bootcamps and communities to continue to build strong external relationships.
This is a unique opportunity to lead Twilio’s Hatch Apprenticeship program in our Denver location. The Hatch program is designed to provide access to software engineering roles for persons with non traditional educational, professional and personal experience. Hatch ensures apprentices have the resources and on-the-job training they need to grow their careers — without compromising their identity or rounding down their personalities to fit the mold of the industry norm.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Denver office, but likely remote at first. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.