Smarkets is an exchange platform for betting and trading on sport and politics. We operate two main consumer products - the Smarkets exchange and SBK sportsbook app - in the UK, US, and other global markets.
As an Engineering Manager for our Trading Platform, you will lead a team of software engineers who build, manage, and maintain the microservices that sit behind the Smarkets proprietary market-making engine. You are here to help them organise the day to day, guide them in their career growth, and be the technical expert that can nourish and develop a healthy journey towards the adoption of the best in class tech choices, in order to achieve your team and product goals in a timely manner. You’ll report to the Head of Trading. You won’t settle for anything but excellence and drive the culture towards it.
- Directly manage a team of 3+ engineers from junior to leads
- Drive sprint planning, including proper scoping of each tasks, break down tickets, structure epics
- Assign work according to the team’s individual skills, need to propagate domain knowledge, need to develop talents
- Run Stand-ups daily, IPM & Retro weekly/biweekly
- Set the standard for code quality, engineering execution, review pull requests, improve constantly engineering processes including CI/CD and automated testing infrastructure and strategies.
- Explore and define next technology adoption paths
- Represent the team in cross-functional meetings, internal and external events
- Be the champion of the stack by demonstrating first hand how to implement functionalities in the right way, with an eye to the horizon and your mind on the present.
- 3+ years of experience building microservices for high speed and high scale products.
- 3+ years of experience working with Python; experience with Rust would be a plus.
- High comfort working with git, issue tracking tools, CI/CD and cloud deployments practices.
- Previous experience leading a team technically or directly.
- Push to win
- Make others better
- Give a shit
- Be a pro
- Bring the energy
Our mission at Smarkets is to fix the betting industry with the best products and best prices. Smarkets is a Series B startup that brings a professional, tech-led approach to the sports and political betting industry with a sophisticated platform that has handled over £25 billion in traded volume since 2010.
We embrace collaboration, trust, innovation and scientific rigour, while we celebrate ambitious goals and passionate energy. We push ourselves to be the best and lean into challenges to ensure that we are continually developing at both an individual and organisational level. This has enabled us to be where we are today and leads us to where we want to be next.
Our culture rewards people on merit and excellence and we strive to provide a working environment where recognition, challenges, support, collaboration, interesting benefits and shared meals provided by our chefs mix together to let you unlock your potential, grow with us and become your best self.
Smarkets is an equal opportunities employer and takes active steps to prevent bias and discrimination in our interview process. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or gender identity.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.