Full Stack Developer, Regional Expansion
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We're looking for full-time Full Stack Developers to join our growing team in Singapore. The role is a unique opportunity to build beautifully simple experiences that guide our customers through Wise, helping them to live, travel and work without borders.About the tribe
Our Regional Expansion tribe works toward this goal by adding new routes and improving our existing ones will always be the core of our business. Through integration with local partners, they build a foundation for other tribes to succeed. To get there, we’re working on a variety of interesting projects and challenges. These include things like introducing bank account details for HKD and building a complete eKYC (electronic Know Your Customer) tool to improve onboarding of users in several countries across the region.
We’ve been expanding across the Asia Pacific region for the last 5 years and there’s lots more to do. The region is full of opportunities for us to impact the lives of millions of more people who want to send money to and from countries in APAC.
Find out more about how our Regional Expansion teams work from an article by one of our Senior Engineers.How you’ll be contributing to our Engineering team:
Help us take Wise to the next level as we scale to impact 100's of millions more customers. You'll hide away all complexities under the hood of our product and build seamless experiences for our customers
Working on the core flow of Wise, you'll guide our customers from their first experience on our landing page to completing a transfer and making sure they are informed every step of the way
Create clear and helpful interfaces, whilst maintaining consistency, maintainability, performance and an understanding of what problems our customers might encounter along the way
Improve code and architecture by regularly planning technical work with the teamRegularly lead and deliver medium-sized features that improve business outcomes at product surface levelConfident contributor to cross-company engineering efforts or guilds
Independently lead medium sized (4-8 engineering weeks) projects through the entire life-cycle from design to development and deployment
Mentor, assist and teach juniors members of their own and other teams to help them upskill and have more impactThis role will give you the opportunity to:
🧭 Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
🏡 Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
🗺 Travel (when things get back to a new normal) to work with our teams in Asia and Europe as well as meet various partners and organizations when needed
💡 Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitudeWhat does it take?:
- You approach your work with a strong product mindset and passion for user experience, you prioritise work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- You have great communication skills and can articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audience
- You enjoy writing testable code and believe in Test Driven Development
- You believe in and follow best coding practices, code reviews and open feedback
- You're comfortable in modular or microservices architecture
- You have experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schema
- You are familiar with Continuous Delivery Approach mindset
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!Some extra skills that would be great:
- You have solid Java 13 plus knowledge and experience with Spring framework
- You have experience with financial systems
- You have knowledge of PostgreSQL, advanced types and query features
- You know your way around event driven architecture
- Perhaps you have experience with machine learning or other data driven development experience
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- Understanding the Wise domain (Fintech) and team specific domain (the problems they’re solving form, intricacies of the domains) (50+ eng teams, all have different domain specific topics, they’re grouped in tribes e.g. Crime Fighting (Fraud, AML), but they’re very different)
- Understanding tech culture: how we build stuff, specific details on the tech stack (in our autonomous teams, teams do lots of different things and work on different stacks so need to understand details)
- You’ll have deployed / gone through the entire lifecycle of a microservice on your own
- Gone through two quarterly plannings and proposed a few ideas to take your product further
👀 How we work - a practical guide
🔮 A Guide to Engineering Organisation at Wise
💻 The TransferWise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
📈 Our Engineering career map
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.