Principal Content Designer, English - Retail Core (all genders)
The Zalando Product Design community brings together 190+ product designers, content designers, and user researchers, each with our own unique mix of skills. We combine empathy, science, and creativity to make engaging and joyful user experiences to ultimately reimagine fashion for the good of all.
Working in tandem with other design disciplines and connecting the dots between the product experience and Zalando’s broader communications landscape, our content designers/UX writers use words to design experiences you want to have again.
Sitting at the intersection of UX and UI, content strategy, integrated messaging, and localisation, they lead the charge on a variety of missions within a diverse range of business areas. Mix in an ample smattering of behavioural economics, A/B/C tests, as well as engaging and inclusive storytelling, and you’ll find a community that’s building to become Zalando’s central point of copy intelligence.
Want to know more? Learn about our Product Design Teams and follow our Zalando Design blog on Medium.
INCLUSIVE BY DESIGN
We want to provide you with a great candidate experience. Please feel free to inform us of any accommodations you may need, so we can best support and assist you throughout the hiring process.
do.BETTER: our diversity & inclusion strategy
Our employee resource groups
WHAT THE TEAM IS LOOKING FOR
Working to build the most advanced procure-to-pay solutions in Fashion E-commerce, the Retail Core team builds state-of-the art enterprise systems that connect Zalando seamlessly with our suppliers.
As a Principal Content Designer you will team up with product designers, user researchers, and product managers to ensure our B2B experiences meet the needs of our partners. You will strategise, provide guidance, and do hands-on work. This might be content (design) for an end-to-end journey, copy for a new feature, rethinking information architecture, or improving our design system.
You will help guide new content designers as the team grows, streamline our B2B experience brand across Zalando’s overarching Partner Program, and collaborate with the central Content Design team to help mature our content design practice overall.
We’re particularly interested in content designers with B2B experience who have a knack for translating complex processes into concise language and easy, breezy flows.
Want to learn more about the impact you will have? Read Senior Product Designer Kim Does’ article about moving from designing for millions of consumers to solving problems for thousands of brands.
WHAT WE'D LOVE YOU TO DO
Lead the design practice by defining and activating content design principles, leading key initiatives, and delivering remarkable experiences. Act as a customer advocate throughout the development process while/by being a great sparring partner for your fellow designers and product managers. Partner with design management and spearhead (content) design ops initiatives. Engage with other designers outside Zalando and propagate ideas by teaching, writing or speaking.
Discover unmet needs for Zalando products and identify opportunities to make them more powerful and usable. Explore undefined problem spaces. Lead research, define which quant and qual data is to be gathered (and how); help assess whether the problem is worth solving.
Define copy strategy that influences, expands, and translates product benefits and product (and) brand strategy into marketable narratives and coherent messaging. Break down the complexity of various products into a seamless and enjoyable experience. Work with customer insights to make sure we’re focussing on the right opportunities.
Design human-centred solutions using language that scales across markets and locales. Write engaging interaction- and content-first copy. Ensure that experiences follow design principles to reach our communication objectives. Solve complex problems, sometimes in uncharted spaces, and harness technology to innovate. Set the standards for how experiences read, look, and feel.
Deliver the best copy (strategy) by raising the bar for what goes into localisation. Scope, define and oversee deliverables. Provide excellent and clearly detailed documentation to your fellow product managers and engineers.
WE'D LOVE TO MEET YOU IF
- While you have likely seen design orgs at different levels of scale and maturity before, you can demonstrate a solid range of content design/UX writing skills built on top of brand, marketing, product marketing, or editorial experience. In any case, you have a track record in human-centred storytelling.
- You facilitate and communicate clearly, set stakeholder expectations, share knowledge and insights, explain design, information architecture, and copy rationales, build common understanding, and spread excitement around a customer experience vision. You are willing to challenge, convince, motivate, and inspire to get remarkable and marketable solutions delivered.
- You understand where e-commerce and the fashion industry stand today.
- You are excited about the technical opportunities on a vast, multi-market, multi-language platform whether we’re talking microcopy, video, or chatbots that sound human (without pretending to be).
- We offer peer-to-peer performance reviews twice a year
- Learn and develop through our extensive Zalando training platform
- Join regular all-hands, team meetings, Q&A-sessions, and quarterly anonymous employee surveys to ask your questions and provide your feedback
- Support from an international team of experts; mentoring and professional development opportunities
- 2 days paid leave per year for volunteering
- Minimum of 27 holiday days per calendar year
- Online sports courses, wellbeing, and nutrition advice offered by Humanoo personal wellbeing coach app
- Mental wellbeing support by our Employee Assistance Program and professional consultants to help you find health resources
- Flexible working hours
- Relocation assistance for internationals
- If you work from an office in your role, a choice of office equipment to be delivered to you, to support you working from home due to COVID-19 safety
- Access to the employee shares program
- 40% shopping discount on fashion and beauty products shipped and sold by Zalando, and 30% discount on Zalando Lounge
- Discounts from a wide range of external partners
- Employee parents’ forums and employee resource group
- Supported transition into and out of parental leave, with a buddy and re-onboarding plan
- 3 fully-paid child sick days per year
- Free counselling, assistance, and referral service for all matters concerning yourself and your family via the Fürstenberg Institute
It’s the perfect time to join Zalando on our journey, from being a pioneer in the world of e-commerce, to the starting point for fashion in Europe. We connect customers, brands, and partners across 253 markets.
Help us drive digital and sustainable solutions for fashion, logistics, advertising and research, bringing head-to-toe fashion to more than 46 million active customers through a team of diverse skill-sets, cultural backgrounds, and interests.
Our values: Our Founding Mindset
Our sustainability strategy: do.More
Please note that all applications must be completed using the online form. We do not accept applications via email.