Public Policy and Government Affairs Manager, France & Belgium (Contract)
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb’s public policy team aims to work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators to introduce them to Airbnb and the “collaborative economy”, highlight the significant social and economic impact our business has on local areas, and showcase best practices from around the world. We want policymakers to understand the regulatory challenges that affect our host community and find models that are good for cities and our thriving local communities.
In Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA), we are engaged in well over a hundred local conversations and negotiations with governments big and small, and at local, regional and national levels across the region in making the case for fair, progressive home sharing rules.
We are looking for a Public Policy Manager to support our campaigns across France and Belgium, based in Paris. This role is a key member of the multi-skilled campaign team, helping to define policy goals and positions and implement them, working alongside other functional experts. The Public Policy Manager will report to the Campaign Manager in France and Belgium and work closely with the Legal, Communication and Community teams.
In this role, you must be skilled in policy engagement with a wide variety of external stakeholders at national, regional and especially local levels - working proactively with municipalities and members of the Parliament to help stakeholders understand the contribution of the collaborative economy to sustainable tourism.
You must also be skilled in project management and able to drive and coordinate internal stakeholders to shape and implement policy solutions to benefit our community in France.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb’s mission, and have proven experience in regulatory, tax and political work in a relevant business or non-governmental organisation or in a political, governmental or regulatory context.
Frequent travel within France and Belgium, along with occasional travel within Europe and to our global headquarters in San Francisco, should be expected.
- Support the Campaign Manager in developing strategies, determining policy objectives and designing policy positions across the market.
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local and regional legislative, executive and administrative offices. This role will also support our national engagement strategy
- Act as Airbnb’s representative in meetings with government and political stakeholders in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives.
- Manage the operational implementation of policy proposals and legislative measures at the local level (housing regulations and tax), working with colleagues in our legal and product teams;
- Flag local policy issues that may have pan-regional implications and work with colleagues elsewhere in Europe and San Francisco to develop global solutions and approaches as required.
- Draft public policy positions, arguments and materials.
- At least six years of direct experience in local or national politics, government, regulator, public affairs, political campaigning or the field of corporate public policy or non-governmental organisation at some level. Policy expertise in tourism, housing, urban development or the digital economy would be a significant advantage.
- Detailed knowledge of the political landscape, legislative processes in France and Belgium, and knowledge of housing and/or tax legislation are mandatory.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organisational skills. Project Management skills are a must.
- Proven ability to establish networks within political stakeholder communities on local, regional and/or national levels.
- An eye for detail - with an ability to quickly get up to speed on complex regulatory issues.
- Excellent communicator with outstanding interpersonal, writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest calibre work product on time.
- Self-starter with a good sense of humour and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment.
- Ability to often travel across the markets.
- Candidate must speak fluently in French and English.
You must submit your application in English.
This position is a Fixed-Term Contract for 12 months. There may be a possibility of an extension or conversion to a Full-time position before or after this period.