Senior Data Engineer
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
Airbnb has become a global platform that connects travelers and hosts from over 81,000 cities. Our Data Science team draws insights from our rich two sided marketplace data to propel our community and product forward. Together we can create a place where we can belong anywhere.
About the position:
We are looking for talented senior Data Engineers who are excited about redefining what it means to do Data Engineering. Data Engineering is part of our Engineering org as we believe great Data Engineering depends on solid Software Engineering fundamentals. However, we also recognise that each Data Engineer has a unique blend of skills. Whether your strength is in data modelling or in stream processing, we want to talk to you.
- Develop and automate large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and/or streaming) to drive Airbnb business growth and improve the product experience within the Airbnb Hosting Org.
- Evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale.
- Lead data engineering projects to ensure pipelines are reliable, efficient, testable, & maintainable
- Design our data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Contribute to shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- Working with data at the petabyte scale.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust distributed systems.
- Experience designing and deploying high performance systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices.
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Experience with Java / Scala / Spark.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.