Senior Frontend Software Engineer, Payments
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join
Airbnb is a trusted marketplace and travel community. This level of trust is critical to the success of Airbnb and has to extend to each payment experience. Payments enables trust and is a core and strategic part of Airbnb fueling growth with easy to use payment services. We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
Meet the people, learn about the challenges, and read more about what we do at Payments here.
The difference you will make
You’ll play an impactful role in building payment experiences for Airbnb. You will get the unique career opportunity to work across multiple agile product teams and make a significant impact on our guest and host community around the world. You will also get to work with a group of talented and passionate web and mobile engineers.
Some examples of our current and upcoming projects:
- Provide localized and alternative payment options so guests can pay how they want
- Redesign transaction history so hosts can better understand and manage their payouts
- Comply with government regulations when processing payments or paying out hosts
- Enable server-driven UI to provide more responsive and customized payment experiences on the Airbnb platform
- Experiment with tweaking user experiences to drive checkout completion
- Web foundation modernization through platform compliance upgrade, performance and observability improvement
A typical day
As a Senior Frontend Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Designers and Backend Engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on web
- Build efficient and reusable UI components and architect reliable, performant, and scalable client-side solutions
- Follow data-driven approaches to conduct experiments and iterate features
- Identify areas of improvement and advocate for web best practices
- 5+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Experience with modern web frameworks, libraries, and tooling (e.g. React)
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Understanding of basic data structures and asynchronous programming
- Interest in innovations within the web industry
- Nice to have: demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Nice to have: understanding of how payments systems work
How we'll take care of you
The starting base pay for this role is between $164,000 and $215,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb, Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: email@example.com.