Senior Software Engineer, Experimentation
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community you will join:
The Experimentation team’s mission is to provide an insightful, reliable and easy to use experimentation platform (i.e A/B testing) for our customers across the company. Experimentation is critical to decision-making and customer understanding at Airbnb, with thousands of experiments being run each year on our platform. Our team is very multidisciplinary, owning a vertical stack including UIs for setting up and analyzing experiments, data pipelines and libraries for calculating results, and clients for assignment and delivery.
The difference you will make:
As a member of this team you would be working with talented engineers on building infrastructure to solve cutting edge experimentation problems. The primary focus of this position will be on our platform’s results computation stack, consisting of data pipelines and an analysis library. You will bring a deep understanding of data processing, API design and experimentation methodology to help us reliably and accurately calculate results at scale, and to push the boundaries of what we can learn from experiments. The stack you would be working with consists of technologies like Spark, Python, Scala, and Airflow.
A typical day:
- Work to build, maintain, optimize and extend complex and large scale data processing pipelines.
- Contribute to Airbnb’s library for flexible and extensible on-demand analysis of experiments.
- Partner with teams across the organization to improve the impact of experimentation across the company.Participate in all phases of software development of the overall platform from
- architecture/design through implementation, testing, and on-call.
- Work closely with Data Science partners to implement sophisticated statistical methodologies into the platform.
- Participate in experiment reviews to understand how our customers use our infrastructure, identify areas for improvement and learn about features rolling out across the company.
- 8+ years in a hands-on software engineering role, shipping high quality code to production, especially for high scale, distributed systems or data pipelines.
- Experience with at least one modern, general programming language (e.g. Python, Java)
- Experience with at least one modern “big data” technology (e.g. Spark, Dataflow)
- Strong SQL skills
- [Bonus points] Experience with a distributed stream processing framework (e.g. Flink, Kafka, Dataflow)
- [Bonus points] Experience with scientific/statistical computation, especially involving online experimentation
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $164,000 and $215,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.