Software Engineer, Real Time Media (Portal)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Portal Engineering team designs and builds innovative new hardware/software products and platforms to create new ways for people to work together. The team is composed of world-class frontend, backend and production engineers, working together with other teams across Facebook to deliver video communication infrastructure and products.The team is actively seeking a senior software engineer with a passion for building real-time media software. As part of this team you will design, build and improve software that processes live audio and video in our data-centers, aiming for the highest quality and lowest latency possible. The ideal candidate is self-driven, passionate about audio/video technology, the user experience, and comfortable delving into very complex C++ applications. This is a full-time position based in our London office.
- Drive delivery of the backend real-time video/audio media processing systems for use cases including video conferencing to live streaming.
- Collaborate with teams across the company to understand requirements and enable a unified infrastructure to serve them.
- Build the media platforms for our video calling and conferencing ecosystem to deliver an unrivalled user experience.
- BSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- 5+ years work experience in software engineering role
- Experience with developing audio/video processing or real-time communication applications
- Good knowledge of modern C++
- Experience of real-time networked media systems, especially WebRTC or GStreamer
- Knowledge of audio DSP or video processing/analysis
- Familiarity with video/audio encoding
- Desire to mentor more junior engineers and spread expertise to a more generalist team