Staff Data Scientist, Inference - Marketplace
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb is a global platform that connects travelers and hosts from over 81,000 cities. Our mission is to enable a world where anyone can belong anywhere. To ensure the success of our mission we need to build a platform where guests and hosts can trust one another and trust Airbnb to be a reliable, high quality platform for exceptional travel experiences.
The Difference You Will Make:
The Marketplace Intelligence and Forecasting Data Science team works to measure and forecast the balance between supply and demand in our marketplace and provide insights into how we can increase the value created in our marketplace.
A Typical Day:
- We are looking for a passionate data scientist to work centrally within the team, with an initial focus on:
- Measuring guest preferences.
- Identifying opportunities for matching the supply on our platform to the preferences of guests; valuing the benefits from such opportunities.
- Partnering cross-functionally with product, engineering, and operations, as well as with other data science teams, to implement models that drive product development and supply acquisition.
- Providing technical mentorship to other data scientists, ensuring a high level of scientific rigor.
- 9+ years of relevant industry experience and a Master’s degree or PhD in a quantitative field
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (Python or R) and SQL
- Experience with causal inference and machine learning techniques, ideally in a multi-sided platform setting
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Proven ability to communicate clearly and effectively to audiences of varying technical levels
Preferred unique skill-sets:
- Experience estimating demand systems
- Experience with non-experimental causal inference methods
- Experience with an ETL framework like Airflow
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $180,000 and $245,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: email@example.com. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.