Staff Software Engineer
Brightcove is looking to hire a Staff Software Engineer to augment our Cloud Playout team. The Playout team builds and maintains our highly-scalable, global, multi-region, cloud-based live streaming platform which serves video for major media outlets and some of the largest events in the world. As a Staff Software Engineer on the Playout team, you will help design and build new features, research innovative technologies, and help enhance Brightcove’s Playout platform with advanced broadcast grade scheduling and syndication to various outlets. The team consists of engineers with diverse skill sets covering video and audio processing broadcast technology, cloud-based workflows and modern microservice design and deployment.
- Be a major contributor to the development of the Playout system, including contributions to code, design, pipeline, and infrastructure as code
- Working with other engineers, deliver new services to production, build monitoring and alerts to ensure the service runs smoothly in production
- Take into account scaling, cost and performance considerations when designing a service
- Stay abreast of developments and best practices within the tech industry and video
- Work with Customer Support and Account Management to respond to customer impacting issues
- Work alongside other teams to develop cross-project solutions and drive best practices across the organization
- 10+ years of software development experience on REST or backend services
- Experience with ad sell-side providers and video/media processing preferred
- Experience delivering and supporting high scale SaaS services leveraging public cloud services such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), including a practical knowledge of the capabilities such as APIs, regions, instance types, and managed services such as auto-scalers, load-balancers, storage systems, queues, caches, AWS Elemental services and lambda functions.
- Experience in video streaming involving VoD/Live/SSAI and Adaptive streaming techniques (HLS/DASH) is a must
- Experience with deploying Infrastructure as a Code using Terraform, Cloud Formation etc.
- Experience with building production services in Golang
- Experience with relational databases (PostgreSQL/RDS preferred)
- Experience with building production scale applications using Ruby
- Experience working with FAST platforms is a plus
- Experience working with broadcast grade Playout systems is a must.
- Experience with distributed, in-memory caches
- Exposure to Google Cloud platform is a plus
- Ability to train and inspire other software engineers to innovate and collaborate with a solutions-focused approach
- Positive attitude with an open mind to learning new ways of learning and innovating.
- Understanding of the full software delivery lifecycle, from conceptualization through delivery and all steps in between
- Experience working with version control, continuous deployment and performance monitoring tools, such as Git, TeamCity, Jenkins, SumoLogic, DataDog, and CloudHealth
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Understanding of building, delivering and operating internet-scale, distributed, high availability systems
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, market conditions and a transformative tech environment
- Experience with Behavior and Test-Driven Development
- Knowledge of containers and container-based deployment, preferably Kubernetes
- Work Arrangement - Remote, On-site, or Hybrid. Prefer Hybrid/On-site in Chennai
As the undisputed global leader in powering premium video for our customers, Brightcove recruits and retains highly qualified and motivated individuals, creating an environment where people can innovate and achieve their best, and we reward them for their performance by giving them the opportunity to share in the company’s success. We offer competitive benefits and compensation packages.
We offer flexible options to work in our brand new Chennai office located in OMR, remotely or in a hybrid set up. Whichever option you choose, we have plenty of opportunities to meet your colleagues around the globe and we also celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including an Employee Action Committee, Women of Brightcove, Pride of Brightcove, Parents of Brightcove … and more to come!
If you've gotten all the way to the bottom of this description, thank you for your interest in Brightcove! If this role sounds like something that is exciting to you please don't hesitate to apply, even if you don't meet all of our qualifications. We recognize that no candidate is perfect and Brightcove would love to have the chance to get to know you.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Please note that while this job description is an accurate description of the role, it is also subject to change during the course of this search.