Thunderbird Front-End Web Developer
MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) is a new, wholly owned subsidiary of Mozilla Foundation which runs the Thunderbird project. Thunderbird is a global, free, and open source email client that has grown significantly since its launch 10+ years ago! The project is governed by its community, which means that strategic and other high-level decisions are publicly discussed and decided upon by the elected Thunderbird Council. Thunderbird has grown in donations, staff, and aspirations over the last years. It is looking to mature and expand its business practices to ensure future operational success. This new role is an opportunity for an experienced engineer who is excited to design and implement new websites and improve our existing ones, all to support Thunderbird’s ongoing growth.The Opportunity
Thunderbird is looking for a multi-skilled self-starter to work on front-end web development. You will be working in close cooperation with our current staff and community members and reporting to our Infrastructure Team Lead. This is a remote, full time position. You are expected to have excellent written communication skills and coordinate your work over email, video conferencing, Matrix, and Bugzilla.What you’ll get to do:
- Write code and tests, build prototypes, tackle problems with no clear solution, collaborate with other designers and engineers as part of a global, distributed open source development team. This will involve technical decision making, code reviews (receiving and giving), engagement with contributors, planning and other collaborative practices.
- Along with our designers and product lead, build and deploy prototypes and experiments that improve the workflows and conversions on our websites.
- Investigate and justify technology choices, including implementing new systems around security, logging, performance and accessibility.
- Partner with our community manager and other communication professionals to improve the way we communicate with our community and users across all web channels.
- Work on data visualizations and engineering involving hundreds of millions of data points.
- Some knowledge of back-end web development using Python, MySQL, etc.
- The ability to translate wireframes, style guides and design direction into polished, production ready visual experiences.
- Awareness of the need for accessibility in implementation and a willingness to collaborate with designers to deliver inclusive experiences.
- Interest in and ability to work with a distributed team (requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills).
- Know how to approach an existing codebase and improve its architecture through small, planned interventions.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams of technical and non-technical people, with a deep respect for the different skills that people bring.
- A user-centered approach, with a keen interest in collaborating with and serving a community’s needs.
Bonus Points for:
- Good understanding of UI design and UX principles.
- Understanding of Model-View-Controller and Component Based frontend architectures.
- Familiarity with AWS, GCP, or other cloud services platforms.
- Deep SQL knowledge and understanding of database design.
- Experience with data visualization and/or data engineering.
- A little experience with Wordpress.
- Previous open source engagement.
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 24 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Year-End Shutdown
- Remote Work Set-Up: latest hardware + internet reimbursement
- Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of MZLA Technologies Corp.
Applicants must reside in and have work authorization for one of the country locations specified above (US or Canada). We are unable to consider applicants outside of these markets at this time. And we are unable to provide visa sponsorship.MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) Hiring Practices
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at firstname.lastname@example.org.